History in Brevard
In May 2016 Dean Paterakis made national news for his protest and subsequent arrest at a Brevard School Board meeting. The arrest was covered by news outlets including CNN, The Washington Post and Glenn Beck. All local news outlets also covered the arrest. Dean was not prosecuted and just weeks later it was revealed another local principal was being charged with child pornography.
Because of this extensive coverage, Dean has become somewhat of a local celebrity. Often times while running errands, shopping, or eating at a restaurant, someone introduces themselves to Dean and voices their support. Although the road was long and challenging, Dean knows this additional exposure will help bring the true issue with the system to light.
Dean is a realist and knows real change is not an easy task. His opponents are put in place and are well-funded to make sure others who want change and represent the people are not elected. Many of his opponents’ supporters (those who are not part of the corruption but are fooled) believe their candidate is unique, but a vote for them is just another vote for corruption. The other candidates will not put up a fight against Common Core. They will not seek out the misspending. They will not go after the bad employees in our school system. Dean Paterakis has proven he will take all of these challenges head on, regardless of the consequences.
What proof is there? If you look at the past 20+ years the faces have changed on the school board but the agenda stays the same. Money continues to be misspent, bad teachers keep their jobs, good teachers are overworked and underpaid and the senior staff continues to get hefty raises. All of this occurs while they allow millions to be funneled away from the classroom.
The main reason Dean believes his opponents will do very little to effect change is because none of them are outspoken on these issues. None of his opponents speak up at the school board meetings or share their criticism on the internet or newspapers. Dean feels this silence at the very least allows the corruption and misdeeds to continue. The Brevard County Schools and the children deserve a warrior who truly is in their corner on the major issues.
Many of the other candidates desperately need the job and are willing to do anything to get it. Special interest groups know this and have invested heavily in their campaigns. Although Dean does not finically need the Seat 5 position he wants to finally be able to clean up the schools from the inside out. Because he does not need special interest group financing, they choose to attack his persona instead of focusing on issues.
Keep Our Schools Clean, Vote for Dean!
Dean has been exposing the corruption since 2006. None of his opponents have voiced concerns over what has come to light even though they have the connections capable to make a difference.
Dean exposed the fact that his principal was trying to bribe him with his teaching job to make him falsify official documents which would hurt his students. When given the unlawful order Dean chose to put his job on the line and put his own family in a financial risk (his children were only 4 and 5 at the time). Dean had no other prospects for a job but he still sacrificed his well-being for his students and his integrity. (Dean can provide you the stated facts of the lawsuit he had with the school board)
Dean ran for school board and was quoted in Florida Today accusing the school board of spending our tax-dollars like drunken sailors. He was critical and exposed the senior staff who were double and triple dipping. Some of them were making hundreds of thousands of dollars while teachers struggled. Although drunken sailors usually stop spending when the money runs out, the school board continues to spend into debt. It is up to the citizens to have to bail them out with a new tax.
Dean exposed the fact that while the economy was failing and companies were tightening their belts the schools were still spending money haphazardly. When local companies were cancelling Christmas parties, the senior staff of the schools were still booking party centers and having Christmas parties at the tax payers’ expense.
Dean exposed Andy Ziegler for buying the website address www.DeanPaterakis.com to cheat the people from getting information from his campaign. The URL instead linked to Ziegler’s website. Ziegler claimed it wasn’t dirty. Most people Dean spoke with felt it was underhanded.
– Dean also criticized Ziegler for voting for the overpriced contracts, specifically the $3.8 million baseball field in Rockledge that could have been done for much less.
- He criticized the board in giving a $202,000+ salary for the superintendent and criticized the board for giving senior staff salaries double or triple what a teacher makes when the governor makes only $132,000.
- Dean asked why citizens were paying the previous head of security over $80,000 and having to pay for a whole security department when their job is redundant with local law enforcement. He felt fingerprints should be done at local police stations where they already have the equipment and personnel, just as other districts do. Dean believes there was a reason and feels it was to allow criminals to get jobs in our schools. He possesses evidence that corroborates his theory.
Dean was vindicated in his criticism with the Rockledge Baseball Field. The Facilities department was investigated and they found over $3.1 million dollars was misspent giving no-bid contracts to friends and family.
- Dean was critical of the school board for not having anyone held accountable for the misspending. They allowed department heads to retire with full pensions when they should have been prosecuted. He also caught Amy Kneessy lying on the Bill Mick show. She told viewers that the school board filed a complaint with state attorney’s office. The state attorney’s office said that the school board never filed a complaint. She also lied about Scott Ellis. She lied about the school board not paying the attorney over $600,000 in one year. Dean has the financials to prove that this occurred. Dean also challenged Bill Mick and asked why he allows Kneessy to lie on air. After this interaction, Bill Mick started a campaign against Dean calling him names and making fun of his campaign. Dean has not been allowed to return to the show since this time.
Bill Mick continues to have Amy “The Liar” Kneessy and Andy “The Thief” Ziegler on his show. Dean believes he is part of the problem.
Amy Kneessy called 911 to remove Dean from a school board forum when he spoke against Common Core. This made the Blaze and other Internet news.
- Dean also demanded answers from school board members why 18 year employee and whistle blower, Lewis Ruffalo, is fired for asking to meet with senior staff after allegations of teachers physical and sexual abuse at Heritage High.
Dean is critical of the $8 million NO-BID contract and demands answers during his presentation at the school board meeting.
- Denise Coyle and Dean catch Andy Ziegler stealing political signs during the general election. Andy lies to the Palm Bay Police saying he only had one in the trunk of his car but the police report six. No charges are filed. A clear pattern of deceit is coming to light.
– During the Eastern Florida College/ Florida Today debate Dean states his concerns are the misspending and the pedophiles that lurk in our schools. The lack of accountability of those that are allowing to hire people with criminal records that are prohibited by law to work in our schools is the core of the problem.
On Facebook, Dean continues to ask the new school superintendent why Damian Wilson is moved to another school and continues to work with children after his incident of showing a picture of his erect penis. The superintendent never responds. On May 23, 2016 Dean approaches school board to publicly put on record the question why a teacher who shows a picture of his erect penis to 15-16 year olds continues to work in our schools. Andy Ziegler complains and Dean is subsequently arrested.
It is argued that sheriff deputies should never have arrested Dean and the state attorney,Phil Archer should have dropped the charges immediately. Archer’s wife, Stephanie Archer, works for the school board and received several promotions in recent years. Dean believes the charges not being dropped sooner was politically motivated. Sheriff Wayne Ivey also lied about where his deputies arrived from. The deputies were present at the school board building on special duty, not on the West Side as Ivey stated. The officers did not give Dean lawful orders which is a large part of the reason he was never prosecuted.
At the following school board meeting held on June 14, 2016, Dean continues to ask about Damian Wilson. This time Dean also asks about James Wilkins and why after what he has been accused and punished for is he allowed to work with elementary students, especially following the Ricky Sheppard case. The attitude of the board is changed and they do not stop Dean from speaking.
Dean has been fighting the good fight for accountability for years. Please do your part and make sure you vote in August for Dean. If Dean gets on the board he can be really be effective in holding our school leaders accountable.